Specialising in problematic skin conditions.
Acne is a common skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil and redundant skin cells. There are several different types of acne lesions, each with its own causes, characteristics, and severity.
Characteristics of Acne:
- Whiteheads: Closed comedones with a white or flesh-colored center.
- Blackheads: Open comedones with a darkened, often black, appearance.
- Papules: Small, red, inflamed bumps without a visible center of pus.
- Pustules: Red, inflamed bumps with a white or yellow center filled with pus.
- Nodules: Large, painful, solid lumps beneath the skin’s surface.
- Cysts: Severe, painful, fluid-filled lumps beneath the skin’s surface.
Types of Acne:
- Hormone-Mediated Acne: Acne influenced by hormonal fluctuations, often associated with specific life stages or conditions like PCOS.
- Acne Rosacea: Acne rosacea, often referred to as rosacea, is a chronic skin condition that primarily affects the face. It is characterised by redness, flushing, visible blood vessels, and sometimes pimple-like papules and pustules. Rosacea is different from common acne and requires specific treatment.
- Acne Conglobata: This is a severe and uncommon form of acne that is characterised by interconnected nodules and cysts beneath the skin. It can result in significant scarring and often requires aggressive medical treatment.
- Acne Fulminans: Acne fulminans is a rare and severe form of acne that is often accompanied by systemic symptoms such as fever and joint pain. It typically occurs suddenly and can lead to extensive scarring.
- Acne Mechanica: This type of acne is caused by friction, pressure, or heat on the skin, often due to wearing tight clothing, helmets, or sports equipment. It typically appears as small, localised bumps in the affected area.
Treatment And Prevention.
As Skin Therapists, it is vital to understand the specific type of acne, as this is important for determining the appropriate treatment and management strategies. Minor cases can frequently be addressed in clinic using specialised products that feature ingredients like salicylic acid. Conversely, more serious instances may necessitate prescription medications, including topical or oral antibiotics, retinoids, or hormonal treatments.
Skin therapists are bound by their specific scope of practice, and the determination to refer a patient to a medical practitioner is typically based on the acne’s grade or severity. I have a strong conviction regarding the importance of skin therapists recognising when it is appropriate to refer patients to medical professionals rather than exceeding the boundaries of their practice.
Learn About Your Skin
Our Results Speak For Themselves
"Paula is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the skin I put my trust in her fully. She is very understanding of any concerns and her treatments are so relaxing. I have been going to Paula for around 13 years would not go anywhere else and am more than happy with the results. She is the best."
"I have trusted Paula with my skin for 8 years and my skin has never looked so good! I love Paula’s no fuss approach and honesty. Paula is always so thorough, attentive, and always goes above and beyond for her clients. I am always being educated on my skin and her advice and recommendations are always welcome due to her decades of study, qualifications, and experience in the industry. "
"I have been seeing Paula monthly for over three years now. As a woman entering her forties, I wanted help keep my ageing skin as healthy and youthful as possible. Each treatment is thoroughly relaxing, and it is always a pleasure spending time with Paula. Her products are divine for my at home care and my skin has never felt better!"
"Paula listened to my concerns and gave me a treatment plan that actually worked and with great results. It was thoroughly explained as well. Paula’s knowledge is second to none. My skin is now glowing. When you enter the clinic, it is calming, relaxing and so professional. You will leave feeling like a million dollars. I wouldn’t trust anyone else with my skin. Great experience with good results always. "
"What a wonderful clinic! I have been coming to Paula for many years and wouldn’t go anywhere else. She is warm and welcoming but above all knowledgeable and passionate about skin. I have allergies and skin cancer scars and she has helped me immeasurably both with my skin and in educating me about my skin! Brilliant work! Thank you, Paula!"
"Paula is always open to any concerns/issues that I raise with her. She generally asks a few clarifying questions and is then able to provide insight into why the issue/concern is occurring, and how it can be resolved. Paula outlines each stage of her treatments, including why she is using a particular product, how it will make me feel, and the long-term benefits. I always leave my appointments feeling relaxed and with a bit more knowledge about my skin and/or the products I use. My skin care regime is personalised by Paula to suit my individual requirements, and it is easy for me to manage and maintain. As a result, my skin always feels healthy and presentable in its natural state, which gives me the confidence to go out and about without having to hide my face behind make up. "
"I have been seeing Paula for about five years now. Paula is unlike other therapists I have seen before in that her knowledge and passion for skin health is second to none. Paula not only understood my concerns about my skin, but proactively searched and implemented new cutting-edge equipment and products to aid my concerns. I have found Paula's treatments to be amazing, and I feel completely looked after and safe in Paula’s hands. Not only are Paula’s treatment successful in keeping my skin youthful looking, but they also keep my skin healthy. Thanks Paula!"